Thursday, June 30, 2011

Foundations


I was going to write a post today about praying; what purpose it serves, how to do it, and problems that can come out of it. It was going to be a good post (I promise!), discussing the signs from our gods, and what to do when you hear the voice answering a question you've only half-asked.

The answer for today's post was no, when I did my own praying. So instead, I will ask the gods to bless my words as I put them forward to you.

A very important secret was imparted to me in the past regarding magic and rituals, but I forgot about it. Today, a very good teacher reminded me that it is those "secrets" that we should be taught from the start, as a foundation to our practice, rather than a supplement added in later as an afterthought.

I'd like to use the tools of divination as an example to tell you this secret, although this is universal for raising a circle, casting a spell, meditation, prayer, or any other use you may have as a Practitioner.

So, I hope you have, in your wanderings, found a set of divining tools that resonate with you; Tarot is rather popular nowadays, but other people have been known to use tea leaves, a pendulum or two (or three!), crystals, palm reading, or Oracle cards.

My weapon of choice is the Elder Futhark runes, so I'm going to use them as my reference point. Whatever you use, take it out. Have it ready in front of you. Also, grab some silverware. Yeah, forks and spoons and knives, whatever. Or a few pairs of shoes. Or maybe a short lineup of candles (you won't need to light them). Set your mish-mash of things next to your bag of runes.

I want you to grab two of the stones in the bag (or cards in your deck, etc.). If you want to ask a particular question, please feel free. But the main point here is to pay attention to the energy of your tools. What do they feel like, energetically? How does that affect you?

My runes are really talkative; they always want to come out and play. I imagine them as about ten years old, energetically. They get confused when I go out dancing, because to them, my current lover is their dad (sometimes, it feels more like "first love"). However, they also speak the truth of things. An excitement runs through my fingers as I grab the bag, every time. The stones give way to my fingers, and they clink gently beside each other. It immediately gets me ready to do a reading, like the smell of white sage or gazing at the Moon on an esbat.

When I draw out two stones, I get Thorn, and Raidho. I've been with these runes long enough that I know what they mean to tell me: prepare for a journey. What do your cards say? Is your crystal sending you a message?

Really spend some time bonding with this reading, because the next part is important. Find out what your divination is truly telling you, on your mental, physical, and spiritual planes. Do you have certain guides that are speaking through them? Be aware of their influence. Think of all the time you've spent studying them, the meanings in different books, looking them up online, doing exercises with yourself to make sure you got it right. Your first reading for yourself. Or another.

Feel that strong connection you have with your cards or runes. Now transfer that same connection, like copying a file into a different folder, to your silverware. Once you feel it settle in, do a new reading--you can ask a different question or use the same one.

If you don't feel it, remind yourself that you are the one with the power. Don't tell yourself, "I'm trying." Instead say, "I will feel it."

And you will. That energy is still there. Your sporks can be tools, too.

Now, here's the secret. You don't actually need anything to complete your readings. Remember, all of these are tools, more for focusing your mind than the completion itself. It's your Will that manifests your wishes. A green candle is not necessarily needed in order to draw in prosperity, nor is that rare (and frankly, quite expensive) herb to nab you the love of your dreams. However, they're excellent for ensuring you stay intent on your goal. Sometimes, your human mind needs something to keep itself entertained while your spirit taps into that great pool of knowledge. But the point, the goal of our practice, is to lose the wand and cauldrons.

It is with that foundation that we should learn about divination and spells. It means that we save our money instead of worrying about buying that chalice, or making sure you have the right kind of athame (I speak here from a Wiccan perspective, although the same can be said for shamans, Reiki healers, and all other Practitioners). The reminder of that important lesson opened my eyes, even as I clutched to my Thor's Hammer, hoping to maintain a bit of the power I've packed in it. It reminded me that I have that power, not the charm.

So now, as is the custom of our people, I pass my lesson on to you. May the gods show you how to find that connection whenever and wherever you need it.

Be well,









Kate R

No comments:

Post a Comment